Currently, CDC is recommending that moderately to severely immunocompromised people receive an additional dose of Moderna or Pfizer. Patients with conditions like diabetes and heart disease, are not advised to get a third dose, at least for now. The list of patients eligible under the current CDC guidelines to get the 3rd dose includes people who have:
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response
People should talk to their healthcare provider about their medical condition, and whether getting an additional dose is appropriate for them.
A full list of conditions can be found on CDC’s website.